Thursday, January 3, 2013

Dieting: It's not just about food.

Welcome to January 3rd. By now, you are probably well into your resolutions. You've thought long and hard about them and you are ready to rock and roll on weight loss, exercising, and everything in between. You probably googled the best diet to lose the most amount of weight quickly.

Somewhere around the 10th of January you will probably stab someone for a McDonald's french fry. Trust me, I'm the expert on this.

Dieting is not a foreign concept to me. I've tried them all. The soup diet? Yep. Weight Watchers? Did it. Shakes? Been there. 


Those are my before and after pics.  The sad part, that before pic is more flattering than it should be. 

But in my journey, I've learned a few things. Dieting and weight loss is not all about food. It's not all about portion control. It's not all about exercise. Trust me. 

I'm not an expert, but I've tried just about everything. I've been there. I've looked in the mirror and been disgusted. (Wait, that was just yesterday). 

Part of weight loss is about being good to your body. If you are dieting and watching what you eat, chances are you are limiting your carbs, sugars, calories, fat grams, everything your body is used to. You are probably really tired. You feel like you need a nap. 

Sleep is essential. 8 hours of sleep a night is a necessity. It's one of the best fuels that you can pour into your body, excluding water, but that's a whole other post.

Feel like you don't have time to sleep? Or maybe you only got a few hours in? This is where I tell you that you have to make time for two things in life. That's sleep and exercise. You have time to check Facebook, blog, tweet, instagram and online shop, right? So I'm willing to hedge a bet that you have time to get a few hours of shut eye in.

Trust me. Once your body gets those eight hours of sleep, you'll be ready to wake up the next morning, work out, eat right and ready to face those scales.

I'm not perfect. I don't always get eight hours. But when I do, I can really tell. 

Do me a favor and make a resolution to get eight hours of sleep a few nights a week.

You can send me a thank you card in the mail. 

xoxo,
Brooke


17 comments:

Whitney Ellen said...

2-4-6-8 + 8 hours of sleep = SUPER MODEL.

And now I will dismiss myself from your serious post and apologize for being all not serious on it. You know that ain't my style. Love youuuu.

Anonymous said...

You look great!!!

keepingupwithkristen said...

You look great! I agree, sleep makes a HUGE difference! Did you stick with Weight Watchers?! I'm kinda thinking about trying it out...

julia rose. said...

Girl I PRIDE myself on my sleep!! I am such a grump if I dont get close to 8 hours a night- just ask my roomie haha. I love how open and honest you are on your blog- it's very inspiring! And you have A LOT to show people... YOU LOOK GORGEOUS!

californiadreamin said...

You look fab-u-lous! And I agree, sleep is CRUCIAL!

The Pink Growl said...

Amen to that sister! Good sleep will do wonders for a girl. Now I need you to talk me into being that girl at the gym at 5am. I struggle with that one!

Helene said...

you truly are a wise one. and I love it. seriously, you should be a weight loss counselor. im serious.

Cassie said...

yes - sleep is so important! look good, feel good, have fun. that's what makes it all work.

Unknown said...

Truth! I get very upset if I don't get enough sleeps. Ps - looking GOOD!!!

Vanessa said...

I am an 8 hour of sleep kinda gal!

If I get 7, I can feel the difference. Anything less than that and I'm a zombie.

I'm all about the 8, baby!

Sami said...

I almost always get at least 8 hrs of sleep.. if not I'm more of a monster than I usually am.. so atleast I got that part down. On to that exercising bit..

You so prettiez!

Meighan said...

I'm going to show the boyfriend this post. He always nags me for saying "I need my eight hours of beauty sleep!" Now I will tell him an expert said so. thanks :)

Samantha said...

You look great! And I totally agree, sleep is a requirement in my daily life.

Sarah said...

Amen!! I loooove me some sleepin! It really does make such a difference!

Anonymous said...

seriously, you look awesome! so glad you posted this because i am somewhat trying to diet right now. by diet, i mean that i started jillian michaels 30 day shred and i'll have abs in a month. (yeah right....). keep on keepin on sista!

Sarah @ Scissors and a Whisk said...

Totally good advice! I always try to get at least eight hours in. Like I'll even calculate, ok, I need to be in bed by 10 if I need to wake up at 6...

I'm a nerd :)

Faith B said...

You look amazing! That's great that you accomplished this. I'm trying to get my ass in gear and convince myself to quit my excuses.