Hi. My name is Helene and I blog over at Helene in Between.
I have gotten to be friends with Brooke over the past few months (which in blogger terms is a VERY long time) and have come to learn a few things from her. Such as: Use hot rollers for great hair, watch UK basketball, work out a lot and love Jake Owen. Especially that last one.
Something else I have learned from her is to have a good story, or tale for your blog.
So while she is off gallivanting in Miami I have one for you and it just so happens to be about my name.
Tales from Helenaynay:
Always have a good drink.
That has nothing to do with this post, but it's true.
My name is weird. I know. It's Helene, pronounced Hell (like the place) + eeen (like the ending of Queen).
People get it wrong all the time and it infuriates me.
I'm not a Helen, or Helaine or even Hilene.
Another thing about my name: Helene is my middle name. My first name is actually Kathryn.
My sweet parents thought it was prettier to say: Kathryn Helene rather than Helene Kathryn.
In school it was a beating when the teacher would call out my name, I would tell them to call me by my middle name and then they couldn't pronounce it.
One time in middle school some boys found out about my real name and thought it was HILARIOUS. They also found out I liked fudge (um, who doesn't). Well, they thought it would be funny to play around with my name and called me: Kathy and told everyone that I had a fudge shop: Kathy's Fudge Shop.
It wasn't like I was a big girl, they just thought this was too funny. Oh, middle school.
Well one night they came over and papered my house and left me a large thing of fudge in which they wrote on it: Kathy's Fudge Shop.
To this day I am embarrassed to eat fudge in public and don't you dare call me Kathy.
Call me what you will, any nick name is fine.
Thanks for having me Brookie and hope you are having a blast in Miami!
It wasn't like I was a big girl, they just thought this was too funny. Oh, middle school.
![]() |
| I'm the one far left. |
To this day I am embarrassed to eat fudge in public and don't you dare call me Kathy.
Call me what you will, any nick name is fine.
Thanks for having me Brookie and hope you are having a blast in Miami!





7 comments:
You are so cute in that middle school pic - throwback! haha
Aw..it is okay! I also believe either you were a dancer..or soccer player! I was a soccer player woot!
When I see "Helenaynay" I like to say "HelenNAYNAAAAAAY" and then giggle. You are my favie and I heart you! And I'm sooo jelly that Brooke is in Miami.
Ah what you have the hell of going by your middle name too?? Gosh, we just relate more and more every time...
Love, Laurel
HELEEEEEENE... get it right, get it right, get it tight. (baby jesus please tell me you know that song)
I feel you. People butcher my name all the time. Nadine is not that hard to pronounce or spell, yet here we are. I am constantly called Nancy, Natasha or Nadia. When I go to Starbucks, my cup always says Nadeen, Naidene, or some other weird version. Seriously, who would spell their child's name like that in the first place? It is N-A-D-I-N-E, k?!?
Somehow I missed this post & I am so glad because THIS is officially the best thing to happen to me on a Friday ever. Kathy's Fudge Shop ahahahaha
Post a Comment