I've come down with a horrible sickness. I've shared it with you guys before, but it's almost like during this season it's worse. I'm a carrier for it. It can be reactivated at any time - just like mono.
I've got a real case of the singles. It's true, I'm 29 and single.
Now before you go clicking the x button, it's not contagious. No matter how someone looks at you when you tell them that yes, you are in fact, still single, they cannot get what you have - they cannot somehow become single - they will not lose their significant other by just being associated with you.
I promise.

"We are almost 30, if we find someone who makes us smile and pays attention to us, then we should probably just settle."
Imagine my surprise when I've heard this line being spoken to me over and over again by a friend that has found someone who does those things. Which lead me to thinking, and that's incredibly dangerous.
I know that people can look at you with judgmental eyes, I know that it gets lonely and I know that having to RSVP for just one lonely person is the hardest thing you may ever have to do. I get all that. But here are a few things that just keep going through my head and some tips for girls who find themselves in the same season of life as me.
Settling.
I've got a list of things that are pretty much non-negotiable on my wants list for a man. And long hair, bearded, guitar players are not those things, and that may come as a surprise to most of you. Long hair can be grown out, beards can be grown, trucks can be bought and cowboy boots are sold all over the South. There is so much more to life and relationships than smiles and attention. And I refuse to settle for anything less than wonderful.
Sitting at home waiting.
This may come as a newsflash to most people - but the man of your dreams will not come walking through your door while you are sitting at home in your pjs. It hasn't happened to me yet and while I do believe in fairytales, I don't believe that my fairytale is written just like that. Get out and do things. Even if its dinner with your girlfriends.
I won't stop living.
I'm single. I've got a bad case of the singles and unlike most diseases, being single doesn't mean you have to stop living. So if you wanna go out and dance the night away til 3 a.m. More power to ya.
I have so many people tell me that my life looks like so much fun - and it is. I'm almost 30 and while some people are out there settling for something less than what we hoped and prayed for, I'll be out having the time of my life. That's what memories are made of.
There will be a time when you can't be with your friends all the time.
Am I the only one who believes that you shouldn't drop your friends for a guy? Or who believes that relationships are all about a healthy balance with spending time with them and the girls? At some point you will need that guy and at some point you will need those girls - and while I completely believe that life is better when it's shared - I think that goes for the guys and the girls too.
Embrace the lonely, the flaws, the ugly, the walking through your own house naked, drinking wine part of singleness.
Every fiber of my being enjoys being alone at some point in the week and I imagine that goes for you too. I don't know if you guys know this or not, but once you get married, you have to be with that person for a long time, like forever. You have to eat dinner with that person a vast majority of the week, you have to tell that person what you are up to most of the time and you have to like look at that guys dirty underwear (these are all thoughts that go through my crazy head).
So embrace that loneliness sometimes. If it means eating cheez-its and drinking wine while sitting in your underwear, then so be it. Find something to do that you know that most people won't like to share with you - like watching Buck Wild for hours at a time.
My best advice to you, if you are in this same season of life, is to enjoy it. Love it. Don't settle.
And if Mr. Right turns out to be a long haired, bearded, guitar player - then God really has been listening to all my prayers.
xoxo,
B
I promise.

"We are almost 30, if we find someone who makes us smile and pays attention to us, then we should probably just settle."
Imagine my surprise when I've heard this line being spoken to me over and over again by a friend that has found someone who does those things. Which lead me to thinking, and that's incredibly dangerous.
I know that people can look at you with judgmental eyes, I know that it gets lonely and I know that having to RSVP for just one lonely person is the hardest thing you may ever have to do. I get all that. But here are a few things that just keep going through my head and some tips for girls who find themselves in the same season of life as me.
Settling.
I've got a list of things that are pretty much non-negotiable on my wants list for a man. And long hair, bearded, guitar players are not those things, and that may come as a surprise to most of you. Long hair can be grown out, beards can be grown, trucks can be bought and cowboy boots are sold all over the South. There is so much more to life and relationships than smiles and attention. And I refuse to settle for anything less than wonderful.
Sitting at home waiting.
This may come as a newsflash to most people - but the man of your dreams will not come walking through your door while you are sitting at home in your pjs. It hasn't happened to me yet and while I do believe in fairytales, I don't believe that my fairytale is written just like that. Get out and do things. Even if its dinner with your girlfriends.
I won't stop living.
I'm single. I've got a bad case of the singles and unlike most diseases, being single doesn't mean you have to stop living. So if you wanna go out and dance the night away til 3 a.m. More power to ya.
I have so many people tell me that my life looks like so much fun - and it is. I'm almost 30 and while some people are out there settling for something less than what we hoped and prayed for, I'll be out having the time of my life. That's what memories are made of.
There will be a time when you can't be with your friends all the time.
Am I the only one who believes that you shouldn't drop your friends for a guy? Or who believes that relationships are all about a healthy balance with spending time with them and the girls? At some point you will need that guy and at some point you will need those girls - and while I completely believe that life is better when it's shared - I think that goes for the guys and the girls too.
Embrace the lonely, the flaws, the ugly, the walking through your own house naked, drinking wine part of singleness.
Every fiber of my being enjoys being alone at some point in the week and I imagine that goes for you too. I don't know if you guys know this or not, but once you get married, you have to be with that person for a long time, like forever. You have to eat dinner with that person a vast majority of the week, you have to tell that person what you are up to most of the time and you have to like look at that guys dirty underwear (these are all thoughts that go through my crazy head).
So embrace that loneliness sometimes. If it means eating cheez-its and drinking wine while sitting in your underwear, then so be it. Find something to do that you know that most people won't like to share with you - like watching Buck Wild for hours at a time.
My best advice to you, if you are in this same season of life, is to enjoy it. Love it. Don't settle.
And if Mr. Right turns out to be a long haired, bearded, guitar player - then God really has been listening to all my prayers.
xoxo,
B







25 comments:
Brooke! You are speaking to my soul today sister. I needed to hear this! We need a blate very soon! We could meet half way.
love this post Brooke. so honest and real. even though i'm not single it's great to hear from any perspective. love youuu
Girl... I TOTALLY feel your pain on this one. I am 25 and single and seriously I feel like this post was meant for me! My favorite part? "And I refuse to settle for anything less than wonderful." <-- EXACTLY!! We've waited this long for the PERFECT man and we won't settle for anything less than everything.
Right on, girlfriend! I didn't meet Shaun until I was 29 and here I am now, 31 and still not married. Of course I had a different story planned out in my head where I had two kids by now. I love the quotes that you posted and I couldn't agree more. Don't stop living your life and I so believe that everything happens for a reason
xo-kelly
sweettea-lemonade.blogspot.com
I wholeheartedly agree. I actually joined a free online dating site last summer and found the man of my dreams. Don't even care that I found him online, 'cuz I'm not settling.
Amen.
-Sar
Such a great post! Wish every one of my single friends would read this today:) I know God has a wonderful man for you, and love that you refuse to settle. And just so you know, I wouldn't be surprised if he had long hair, a guitar AND cowboy boots;)
You and me. Forever and ever :) we'll move in together when our husbands come out of the closet!
Oh Brookie I just love your face. You are so smart and sooo dang pretty to even be thinking about settling.. so I'm glad you're not! Maybe both of our lovers are BFF's so they are just waiting to meet us at the same time since we are BFF's. That must be it.
As a newly single girl who just ended an engagement for fear of settling, this is exactly what I needed to hear today. Thanks for the pep talk!
I'm not single but, girlfriend you hit the nail on the head!!! Everyone should embrace the season they're in... even if it is being single. Because I promise you... when live with your bf/fiance/husband, get excited about not having your alone time ANYTIME you want it! HAHA! I wouldn't trade him for the world but, there are days that you just want to be alone, sit & do nothing & SAY nothing to NO ONE & it just doesn't happen as often as it used to!
This hit me like a TON of bricks today.
Thank you thank you thank you
Love love love this post! I freakin' love being single and the thought of not being single actually scares the crap out of me! When I picture my life 20 years from now, I don't picture being married and settled in one place... I picture myself traveling the world with my girlfriends and experiencing new things! If by change that happens to include a guy then ok, but if not, totally fine by me!
This post is so, SO inspiring! While I am in a much different place than you, I think you are being so realistic and honest about being single! You SHOULDN'T settle for anything less than wonderful. :) You deserve it!
Oh girl, I totally relate! 29 and single and enjoying this chapter completely, trusting that it's all part of the plan HE has for me. And yes, cardboardeaux and cheeze-its are definitely on the dinner menu a few times a month. Wine and cheese is classy, no?
Also - love this article my friend Lincee wrote on being single - check it out :)
http://www.singleroots.com/singled-out-for-being-single/
what a beautiful post! i know it's helping a lot of people to hear these things. thank you for taking the time to share! i love the quotes you shared. there is a plan and purpose for each of us! i love the title of your blog too.
you should check out a post i did about my real life fairy tale and how each of us has to go through challenges (just like the princesses) before we can have our happily ever after. happy to be following along now :)
michaelandwhitneyweekes.blogspot.com
I love this! Another side effect of the Singles is the way people look at you with a sad pity sometimes. Not all the time, because mostly I have awesome friends, but every once in a while, like on Christmas or Valentine's Day. The looks are worse than the day itself! You've got yourself a new follower here! =)
Embrace it. Enjoy it. Have crazy times with your ladies. It will come. And that you are making the most of it is even better. Never ever settle. Some boy is gonna be one lucky fella one day. You are a princess and should always be treated like one. And you are gorgeous!!! Thanks a million for linking up!!! Xoxo
I really loved this post! Thanks for sharing!
I am in your shoes girl. I will be 30 next month and still single. BOO!
I totally agree that settling is not the way to go! I'd rather be single and happy for years (which I was) than in an unhappy relationship!
Olive & Ivy
i LOVED this! i can totally relate - 27 and single. i know that mr. right will come along at some point and i'll have to give up the living by myself, doing whatever i want when i want thing so i might as well enjoy it while i can! and you're right about the not sitting at home waiting thing though - sometimes i just enjoy my reality tv and wine and forget that i'll never meet anyone sitting here!
Well girl, I'm definitely in your boat. I've got them as well...I just turned 30, wah wah, and I'm like you, I like being single, I like doing my own thing, I like singing at the top of my lungs, BUT, I also wouldn't mind to have someone to share life with. I'm often the third wheel with my friends and their husbands, and I'm also the "single" on the trips...I'm hoping my prince is out there...and when you find your long haired, bearded, guitar player...make sure he has a brother for me sister! :)
Love this! Great post Brooke! Being single isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Settling for a mediocre relationship though is twice as bad as people make it out to be. Keep holding out for Mr. Exactly Right!
Oh my gosh, I just love this! I feel the exact, exact same way! I wrote a similar blog this week: http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com/2013/01/on-being-single.html
Good for you living your life and not settling for anything less than wonderful!
~Tiffany
http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com
Some of the features focus on highlighting your profile so other members having the same interests as you will be able to find you without problems while there are others which focus on the security of your page. For example, you have the choice to “block” someone which means that he or she will not be able to view your page or converse with you and vice versa.
http://www.ichatusa.com
Online Dating Site
Post a Comment