Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Dirty Hair.

 It's no secret that I like sleep. If you blink before 6 a.m. at my house, then I'm going to get upset about it. I sometimes refer to myself as a grandma, and you can too. Yes, sometimes I go to bed before 10 on week nights.

It's one of life's greatest mysteries how I can stay up so late on the weekends, and still function the next day. And yet, on a week day, I am struggling at 8 a.m.

I like my hair like I like my martinis. Dirty.




















Exhibit A and Exhibit B of dirty hair.

It's just easier to fix that way. The dirtier the hair the easier it is to jack up to Jesus. A lot of you have asked for some tutorials on how I style my hair, what I do for it, those types of things. I wear my hair dirty a lot of the days of the week. And now I feel like I'm sharing something with you guys that is going to make you judge me.

I've been around the block when it comes to dry shampoos. I know which ones I like, and I know which ones I really, really hate. I've tried them all, probably.


hair

hair by bmaynard featuring a clear hair care.

These are a few of the kinds that I've tried, not including Psst, which is endorsed by the Daisy Dukes Jessica Simpson. Which we all know we are secretly wanting to look like. 

Out of the six pictured above, here's a quick run down:

Suave: It's okay. I use it sometimes if I'm not in a position to pick up my favorite. It works. 

Batiste: Hate. More than life itself. I already have dirty hair. I don't need something to make my hair look more dirty.

Oscar Blandi: This is a volumizing dry shampoo. Also known as a liar. Anything that says that it volumizes is lying. I promise you. It really is just creating this white substance in your hair that stinks. If it's going to be dirty, it may as well smell good.

Tresemme: Also hate. The bottle says to spray it in and brush it out. No, I don't think I will. I want something quick and easy. 

Dove: I like it. It has a really fresh smell. It's cheap. It does the job. I'd use this on a pony tail day.

Tigi: This one is my favorite. Hands down. It leaves no residue, makes your hair look just as good as it did on the first day of washing and smells great. But expensive at $16-$18 a bottle.

Psst: Not pictured but also one of my faves. It's cheaper than the Tigi brand, but also does a great job. The only catch, you have to use more than you do with the Tigi brand. Not sold in all stores, but you can find it at Walgreen's or CVS.

I've also been known to throw some baby powder on it - but who wants to smell like a baby's butt all day?

Really, I suggest you wash your hair a few days a week. It's better for the life of your hair and for your sanity if you are anything like me. Heat products and blowdrying damage your hair, so the least amount of that you do, the better.

Do you use dry shampoo? What are your favorites?


24 comments:

julia rose. said...

I think our grandma selves could have some fun together on the weekends. It's crazy, and definitely a mystery, how I can get 9 hours of sleep on a weeknight and 5 on the weekends and function the same.
I've been using Suave because my wallet likes it but my dirtayy hurr might be having to try some Tigi or Psst real soon like!

whitney said...

i HATE tresemme. it sticks. it doesn't work. and it is just annoying to look at.

i am going to have to try dove. i love the smell of all dove products so this might be perfect!!

thanks for the suggestion!

Helene said...

I might be commenting twice.
if i am whoops!
i love your hair, so glad you are talking about hair products since you have gorgeous hair. But I do love me some batiste. I think it might be better for lighter hair?!
and I go to bed OFTEN before 10pm. and i love it.

Unknown said...

ugh I HATE washing my hair. It takes waaaay too long to blow dry & flat iron.. and I'm realizing the older I'm getting the more and more I hate doing my hair.

I've tried a few from Sephora that were okay.. I've tried the Treseme one you have above and I hate it. It goes on so wet then you have to dry it?? Takes too long. I'll have to try the Psst one!

-Mikell
thegordongoodlife.blogspot.com

Sara Elizabeth said...

Definitely rock second day hair all the time! I've been looking for a good dry shampoo so I'm glad you told us your favs and ones that don't work! My hair is dark like yours so it's hard to find a good one. Thanks Brooke!

Kelly said...

Believe it or not, I actually have not jumped on the "dirty hair" bandwagon. I wash my hair every day, faithfully, eek! I would definitely be willing to try one of these dry shampoos though. I think I'm just afraid of my hair actually looking dirty (oily/greasy), but if I can fight it using one of those babies, I might become a believer.

Cayla said...

Thanks for the suggestions! I use to get a SUPER expensive kind from Sephora, and then when the budget tightened, thought I'd try Tresemme. I'm so glad someone else DOESN'T like it! I feel like I'm the only one who complains about it. I've gotten every "hair type" I can, and it always leaves my hair looking even more greasy then before!

Maxine said...

I haaaate using a heating tool on my hair everyday, it's probably one of the worst parts of my day. I have several, but we won't go into that. I'll have to give these dry shampoos a shot on the weekend.

elle rae-marie said...

you, julia and I would get along great - us and our "grandma selves". I LOVE tigi, but my bank account does not. So I usually get the Suave brand - Target sells them in packs of two - thats how often I use this stuff!

Southern Sass said...

You couldn't have wrote this at a better time! I just tried dry shampoo for the first time yesterday, I just used the cheap Suave kind and didn't hate it. I am use to washing my hair every single freaking day and I hate that. I was wondering what other brands are good to use. I think I will try the TIGI brand next. Thanks for sharing. :)

The Pink Growl said...

I haven't quite found the perfect dry shampoo yet...but I've tried most of these kinds too. I'm a BIG fan of good old fashioned baby powder. Does the trick every time!

Whitney @ justacountry-girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Whitney @ justacountry-girl said...

Jack it up to Jesus " omg I am going to start using the saying daily. Thanks for the info Sweetness! I am going to try the dove one. I am a baby powder girly myself ;-)

Jordon said...

I absolutely despise the Tressemme dry shampoo! I think it makes my hair even nastier. I am an Oscar Blandi girl myself, but I only use it for making updo's and when I want to use my spin pins. I need to find a winner for days when I wanna wear my hair down!

Allie said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't a fan of Tresemme's dry shampoo. LOVE their regular shampoo, but they missed it on the dry. I feel like it leaves this white coat on my hair. I was going to use it this morning because I've been too lazy to go buy more and I washed me hair after because it looked that awful! I may just have to shell out the money for the Tigi brand. Thanks for sharing :)

Ashley Barnhill said...

I am in bed, and normally asleep, by 9:15 pm on week days. Old lady over here! I am SOOOO jealous that you don't have to wash your hair every day. My is so thin it's get greasy. :( Sometimes I can go two days without washing it, but I HAVE to use dry shampoo and it must go into a ponytail, otherwise it drives me nuts. I was so excited when Tresemme released one, but it's awful! I'll stick with my other one (that has no name because I can't remember, ha).

The Feisty Redhead said...

Oh, I totally do the baby powder thing. I have bang issues. Those babies get greasy faster than anything else, so I just dump the powder on them and hope no one sees the white. And if they do, it's better than seeing oil!

Sami said...

I love me some dry shamps. My fave is Oscar Blandi loose powder. Tried and true for 6 YEARS. That's crazy. I want to try the Tigi one though :)

Kaliwood said...

I got Tresemme dry shampoo as a sample and you are so right about the white residue! If you don't hide it just right, it looks like you are going grey!! WTF???

Lauren said...

I won't judge you at all because I do the same thing! :)

Thanks for your advice on the dry shampoos!

Cotton said...

I've been need to find a new dry shampoo! Will be looking into these!

Unknown said...

Thanks for saying what everyone has been thinking...glad to know there is at least a small club of women who don't lather, rinse, repeat on the daily!

Rhonda said...

I love the Suave, but admittedly haven't tried any others. I'll have to try some others!

Anonymous said...

I think it was the Tresemme one that I tried. I looked like I had grey roots. To boot, my hair didn't look or feel clean. I have thin hair (see also: oily) though, so I HAVE to wash every day. It sucks.