In the same sense, I can appreciate all of the seasons of life.
Every year when my birthday comes near, I start to want to really change something. Whether its my hair or my wardrobe. Something has to change as I prepare for that next year of life. I've never been one to really mind birthdays, and in fact I embrace them for all of their worth. I like the celebration of that one person, I like that you get to make that person feel special. I want to celebrate that milestone in their life.
I get it. Life is hard. And life is hard when you are single. One of the most important things for me over the last year has been really accepting my singleness. Really loving this season of my life, growing from it, using my downtime to grow closer to God and to serve not only God but to also serve myself. This year has been a good one. I have no real complaints. I've lived life differently than I ever have before. And quite frankly, I've loved every minute of it.
I've loved. I've loved people I shouldn't have loved. I have relived those loves when I shouldn't have and I've fought those loves.

But that's not to say that it isn't hard. Just like I am fighting the urge to call any hairdresser in town to color my hair, I fight this feeling that is inside me.
The beauty of life and relationships is that you have that one person that really cares for you, will go above and beyond and will do whatever it takes to make you feel special. I guess I long for that person who stands in your corner when no one else does. It's been hard for me to accept.
I have friends. Good friends. I have a friend who has planned an entire day devoted to celebrating my birthday. Because that's what friends do. And I've never been more thankful for her than I am right now. To have her standing in my corner, to have her really supporting me and wanting nothing more than to celebrate me and my life. It's not just about birthdays, but it's about friendships. She was an answered prayer, a friendship rekindled, and has been not only the best 'planner' you could ever have - but she understands adventures and loves traveling. She gets me.
Right now I like to think of myself in a real winter in my life. I'm ready for the Spring, and know that the summer is around the corner. I just also know that I have to endure all the hardships that come with the winter. The coldness and the bareness of being alone and wanting more. The realization that some friends just don't amount to what you thought they were. They will hurt you sometimes more than a past love. But you pick up the pieces, you forgive and you move on. I've cried. Hard. While listening to country music. But the best part about those tears is that they've made me stronger than ever. You cry about what hurts and you forget it. It's life.

So I have high hopes for the spring and the summer that I know is coming. Figuratively and literally.

I'm looking forward to the new seasons and the new feelings. And just living. If I've learned anything from this cold, hard winter, it's that I never want to be back here again.


11 comments:
Girl. I get you... I SOOOO get you on this! I'm been dealing with my own personal "winter" and it is tough. It really is. But those tears feel so good, don't they? And we serve a God that has BIG plans for our futures! Keep that gorgeous head of yours held high and know that spring and summer is truly right around the corner :) Sending you my love!
xoxo
what a great post girl. and people love you so much, obviously your friend planned your whole b-day party for you!
you are so loving and that's what makes you so great.
Loving this post today, Brooke! You have such a sweet heart, I just know that your 'spring' will be arriving soon - and it will be even more precious than you could ever imagine after going through a cold winter to get there!!! :)
Love love love this post. You have incredible strength. Your spring is coming, girl. It's totally coming.
I just made my husband come read this post because I love it that much. And he looked at me and said that I must be in my winter, too. Here's to spring!!
I can related to your focus on learning to be single and love it. One of the quotes that convicted me during that time was "today is the oldest you have been, and the youngest you will ever be again." Once I read that, my perspective changed so much. We will never have this day and this period of our lives again...so let's not wish it away. Cheers!
These quotes are so perfect. I've been trying to embrace being single for the past almost year of my life. And while it's really easy & fun sometimes...other times is very hard and makes me think I should be with someone who I know I shouldn't be with.
Keep your head up. Life is good. :)
I feel ya! I also get that first quote. I am sometimes driven back to things which I know are not right but I do it anyway. I try to get a check on my inner me but sometimes miss the mark. Here's to a new season for us all!
Missy
http://takeallchances.blogspot.co.uk/
You are just the smartest bunny. I love this post and what it means and I feel you sister! Wish I could be there to celebrate your birthday :)
Hang in there sister!
Happy birthday! :)
Such a sweet, sweet post! Yay for good friends who go above and beyond, like you would for them, on your birthday :)
It's great that you recognize these times in your life. I think it'll help in the future, when you're going through rough (or even great times). Kind of keeps you grounded in a sense. Keep your head up! You're gorgeous and have a lot to offer this crazy little thing called life!
PS - Happy Birthday!!!
Post a Comment