Friday, February 15, 2013

Tale of Three Flowers

So I teased earlier this week about the tale of three flowers on the same day.

I wasn't going to tell the story, because I thought it probably made me look less than stellar. But after having a festive margarita last night at my girls night dinner - I decided, what the heck.

my valentine's date

A few years back, around this same time of year, I found myself casually dating a few guys.

Don't judge me. You know the type. You've been on a few dates with a guy, texted this other guy a few times, and then the other guy you dated, but you've recently broken up. But haven't really cut ties.

So I was feeling sorry for myself. You know. Like really feeling sorry for myself. It was Valentine's day after all. I was single and had no real plans for the big day. I didn't expect any flowers, chocolates, small gifts or diamonds. It was real depressing. And we all know there is nothing worse than working in an office and other people getting flowers, and you are just sitting there sipping your Diet Coke and eating your ho-ho's. A real low point.

The big day rolled around and at the time I worked at a small law office in my hometown. I went to work at 8 a.m. or probably more like 8:45 a.m. as I'm habitually late. As any good employee, I got straight to work. I probably look depressed, like real depressed. 

As the day rolled on, somewhere mid morning, details are fuzzy - it was years ago (3), a delivery guy came through the door and the receptionist went on and on about how beautiful they were. I get furious. Or maybe I cry. But I just wallow in my own self pity. So I peak around the corner of my desk and I have a look something like this:


And then she gets this really high pitched voice and says "BROOKIE, THEY ARE FOR YOUUUUUUUUU"


So of course, my day immediately perks up. I read the card, and they are of course from the guy that I've only just been texting. I was really confused. Who sends flowers to someone on Valentine's Day when you've just been TEXTING? But I didn't really mind. I mean, they were gorgeous. I immediately texted him and made dinner plans. I mean, he sent flowers after all.

The day goes on and you know I've got this skip in my step. I mean, I GOT FLOWERS. 



So somewhere after lunch, the newness has worn off. I mean they are beautiful, don't get me wrong, but I was ready for dinner.

Then, somewhere around 2 let's say, I hear another delivery man come through the door. And of course, the receptionist, she was a real treat, goes on and on about how much she loves these flowers. I hear the delivery guy say to hold on because he has another set in the van. So I'm just sitting there admiring my flowers because I know these flowers aren't for me and mine are obviously much more beautiful than any other flowers that could be coming through that door. Right.

So the receptionist calls for me to come up to the front, I'm assuming to help her carry the flowers. But when I get to the front she says "both of these are for you, girl."  Insert really shocked look.



I had gotten two other sets of flowers. One from the ex and one from the guy I'd seen a few times. The ex had really knocked things out of the park and sent lillies, which are my FAVORITE.

The rest of the day was spent with my boss and co-workers making jokes about how it smelled like a funeral home and how depressed they were that they didn't get flowers. I mean, who gets depressed over not getting flowers.....

I'll spare you the rest of the details. I really will. But I turned down few dates guy for dinner (I had plans wasn't feeling well , duh) and he just happened to be at the same dining establishment as me and the texter. Never heard from him again, actually. A real shame.

As for me and the texter, we went out a few times after V Day. But my ex, who stole my heart with the lillies, and I rekindled things. It's funny how a large set of flowers can make you forget all your transgressions. They say diamonds can do that too.

So yeah, I got three sets of flowers on one Valentine's Day. Which makes my measly one set of flowers I got yesterday pale in comparison. They really set the bar for V Days.

How was your yesterday???
B

11 comments:

The Pink Growl said...

I like this story and I can relate! I didn't get any flowers yesterday sadly and I was disappointed, but I think that was definitely a case of my own expectations getting the best of me. Damn you Vday!

Helene said...

hahaa brooke I love this story!! i have never ever gotten flowers at work, let alone 3!! I can't imagine how shocking and kinda awesome this was.

put a bow on it [kaitlyn] said...

The excitement of flowers is so much fun, and to get three?! Amazingness! Of course he would be at the same place, of all places!

Shayna @ The Fancy Yancey said...

I LOVE this story! This is stuff that's only in movies! Have a great weekend!

elle rae-marie said...

I love this story!!! So funny but I am sure a little awkward at the same time.

but NOW you have a story!

Jordon said...

I just lost it! This is way to hilarious and obviously the GIF's make the story :)

Kalie said...

I love this story! I got two bouquets of flowers on my birthday once so I can kinda relate! One from a boyfriend, one from my best friend (guy) who had screwed up, so it was quite amusing.I can only imagine getting three at once!

Allie said...

3 sets of flowers at work? You go Brooke Coco. Totally jealous! But yay for flowers yesterday, I mean this guy is in the present AND he sent flowers so that must be a good thing right?

Unknown said...

this story is fantastic ... but the gifs make it truly A+

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

Three sets of flowers in one day from three different suitors is legendary.

And that's the most festive margarita I've ever seen.

Sami said...

You're such a sassy little minx and I love it ;)