Tuesday, March 5, 2013

I Could Live Out of a Suitcase

There are few things I enjoy more than packing my suitcase and getting out of town.

There's something about a hotel that I really love - I love the newness of a city and the new faces that you see. I love the feeling you get when you are just in awe of something, when you know that even a camera can't fully capture everything that you are feeling and seeing at that very moment.

I overpack. I overeat. I overdrink. But that's all part of traveling. 

But my favorite part of being a tourist is that you don't even have to leave your own city to be one. Kentucky has so much to offer. And luckily my best friends love to be tourists as much as I do.

Kentucky has a growing wine industry. And while I may be dying to go on the Bourbon Trail, I have been to almost every single winery in the central Kentucky area. Who doesn't love a good glass of wine?





And Kentucky offers great views. Who else can say they've visited almost every single covered bridge in Kentucky?



And then there is the horse industry. April and October are great in Lexington for the live pony racing out at Keeneland. 


And who could forget that we are a basketball town?


image

The moral of the story: overpack your suitcase - come and visit me and let me take you on a tour of my little state. I promise it won't disappoint. 

Are you a tourist in your own state?

Helene in Between


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

16 comments:

Helene said...

umm i could cry I am so happy you linked up. i love you.
and how can you look so cute and be traveling and drinking? not fair.
and yes I do all of the above. Especially overeat. but that's the fun of it right?

Alicia said...

Stopping by from the Bloghop. Looks like you had a great time. I love visiting wineries.

Anonymous said...

Hmm...looks like I need to visit Kentucky sometime! :)

Corinne said...

I love how you are a Tourist within your own state! I think it's great - you definitely don't have to travel far to see and experience fun things!

Jordon said...

Oh the Coach Cal gif. You shouldn't have :) As a KY gal, I approve of this message.

She's a big star said...

I love this! I've totally taken my area for granted but I live in Maine right on the coast and it's absolutely beautiful. I've really made an effort in the last couple of years to explore and take advantage of all we have to offer without even leaving home. Great post!

Joanna said...

I would come to this state just for a winery and the covered bridges!

Sarah said...

I am dying to do more of the Bourbon trail! And do NOT get me started on my love for Keeneland. It's borderline inappropriate.

Katherine said...

Keeneland = Awesome. All we have in SC is Carolina Cup, and I don't recall ever seeing a horse in the years that I've been going. Although, that may have something to do with pre-gaming on the Party Bus on the way down...

Sarah Alway said...

I LOVE being a tourist in my own city, and Seattle has so much to offer! We try to take guests on new adventures to things we've never seen before any time they come to visit.

Sara Elizabeth said...

Kentucky is my favorite place to visit! We have tons of family there and I love going up to the farm and visiting Lexington!

Kristen said...

I love me some wine! Even though I am a Hoosier through and through, Kentucky sure is beautiful, and I bet the vineyards are just bretahtaking!

Sami said...

Hi. Be there in 10.. minutes. I love ponys.

Whitney Ellen said...

Are you gonna be the one to lug my suitcase all over KY? That's all I gotta know.

Steph G said...

I've been to Kentucky, but this helped inspire me to go back... bourbon trail? wine? And who doesn't have a soft spot for a covered bridge. Love.

Kelly said...

I love having friends visit Charleston just like this past weekend. A friend of mine from home visited and we did alllll the touristy stuff.

I also LOVE Kentucky! My boyfriend is from Richmond. We have been to Keeneland and Maker's Mark. I can't wait to go back and check out some of the wineries!

-kelly
Honor Courage Commitment