Friday, March 1, 2013

I love Friends. And Weekends.

When Sami wrote yesterday about her experiences with making friends, I knew that at some point I wanted to write about it.

So last night, I went to dinner with friends. And then off to a concert. And I started to think about a few things. Beer always does that to me.





My love languages are definitely quality time and physical touch. I know this well. I made a resolution to give more hugs in 2013. And I do. Sometimes I even wanna hug complete strangers. 

Quality Time

In the vernacular of Quality Time, nothing says, “I love you,” like full, undivided attention. Being there for this type of person is critical, but really being there–with the TV off, fork and knife down, and all chores and tasks on standby–makes your significant other feel truly special and loved. Distractions, postponed dates, or the failure to listen can be especially hurtful. Quality time also means sharing quality conversation and quality activities.
But it really hit me last night. This whole idea of having friends. Really good friends. Not just friends who you hang out with, and make bad decisions with, but those that pour into you just like you pour into them. Those that spend Thursday nights with you, not because they like the band, but because they just wanna hang out with you. Those friends who will dance the night away with you. Who will walk to the back of the bar with you when your ex-boyfriend walks in. Those friends who will dance with you when the drunk guy gets too close. Those who will laugh at you when you say things like "no, but really, do you know anyone who is single?" Those who will talk you out of liking the drummer, even if he does have long hair. Who make weekends worth wishing all week for.

I've always had a hard time with friends. I've always had them, but really they've not always been great friends. I wasn't in a sorority. I was a shy kid. You wouldn't know it now unless you count my incredible awkwardness as one of those things. I've always found myself really pouring into some and being left empty. But over the past year and a half, my life has drastically changed for the better. My quality of friends is better, I have a few who really pour into me. Who would do anything for me. Who just get me. Who can spend an entire evening talking about new business ventures, and laughing with me, and taking photo shoots, and just singing along to songs we don't even really know. 












As I've gotten older, I've learned a few lessons. People are going to be selfish, it's just our human nature. But it's when you find that balance of someone who would fight for you, who would talk you out of a black hole of loneliness, someone who would tell you not to date that guy, someone who would spend hours and hours of quality time with you, that's when you know you've hit the jackpot in the friend department. 

My advice, whatever it's worth is this:

Life is hard. Hard enough. So find those friends that will move heaven and earth to be your friend. Find those friends who will sit in the backseat with you and sing your heart out. Find those friends who will take an interest in your life. Who will look at those New Years resolutions and really help you follow them. Find those friends who will spend a week night out with you just because it's been a long week.

My love tank is full. It's actually overflowing. My life may not be perfect. In fact, I know it isn't. I don't have my knight in shining armor. I don't have it all. But I've got friends - and right now, I'm thankful for that. 

This walk is hard enough alone - and without sounding too cliche, find those friends who are better quality - quality is better than quantity. And be a friend. Always be a friend. Listen when someone needs you to listen, step outside of your comfort zone, and most importantly, don't always be selfish.




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful post. And I'm just like you. I have quality friends...but not a large quantity of friends.

Helene said...

love this and agree. I need time with my friends. and this is probably bad but I do expect a lot out of my friends. but because I think I would do anything for them, that's whats friends are for! and agree about quality. there are a lot of sucky people out there.

put a bow on it [kaitlyn] said...

I love this. It's the same for me, quality over quantity, and I'm at a stage where I am OK - overjoyed even! - with that. But they're all at LEAST 4 hours away from me, so that makes it tough. It's the meeting new friends I struggle with, like Sami.

Staci said...

I love this post. Happy people make me happy! Also, your teeth are really pretty. I know that's weird. I don't care.

Yesi @ Plan With Yesii said...

Love Lovee Loveee this post! I did the questionaire and I also got quality time! I love me some company! Have an amazing weekend babes ♥

Whitney @ EHFAR said...

My top two love languages are physical touch and quality time. I would much rather have quality friends over quantity. I used to get jealous at people with 8474740 friends. I actually didn't find those "quality" type of friends, until I went to graduate school, and most recently (like this year).

Sarah Alway said...

I love this post so much, it was like reading about myself! Really good friends are so few and far between, and it's so important to cherish and appreciate the ones who really contribute to your life as much as you do to theirs. Also I love this phrase and it made me giggle, because it's so true! "I started to think about a few things. Beer always does that to me." :-)

Sami said...

You are my favorite and I think you are so darn smart! I have always wanted alot out of my friends, but I think thats normal bc when those friendships didn't work? It was for the best, because they weren't being the kind of friends I really need. The best kind of friends chat online with you all day whether its laughing, whining, or venting. The friends who always have each other's backs :)

Janie said...

Such a wise post :) I'm a military wife and find it even harder to make friends. You would think with similar experiences and such hard ones that military wives would make great, lifelong friends, but it's not like that at all. It's like high school all over again. Good friends are hard to make!

Jenna said...

I love this! It's totally true - I was in a co-ed fraternity in college and had a lot of "friends," most of which I'm no longer in real-not-just-Facebook touch with. It's definitely a blessing to get rid of the filler friends and find the "pour into" ones. Thanks for sharing!