Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Newness of Spring

If you follow me on Instagram you know that two weeks ago my niece lost one of her friends in a tragic ATV accident. She was only 12.

Sometimes things happen in life that we may not ever understand. And this just happens to be one of those things. I'm not a stranger to death - over the years I've faced a lot of it. Strength comes from adversity - it comes in waves - and it never seems to come with a sense of understanding.

I'll be honest in the fact that I hate the words "it was their time" and "God must have needed an angel." Don't get me wrong, death is something that everyone has to face, but it doesn't mean we will ever fully understand why tragedies happen.

One thing that I've tried to stress to people who go through a loss of a friend or of a family member is to remember the memories, and to celebrate their lives, rather than just face the loss.

Spring has always been one of my favorite times of the year. There is just something about the brilliant colors of the grass, the trees, the blooms of flowers, the newness that comes with spring. Last night during my run in my subdivision I saw a baby calf and a foal and I just kept thinking about how amazing the circle of life is. As I finished my run, I found these little things.

While I may never understand death - there is beauty in the circle of life. There is beauty in the newness of life. There is beauty in knowing that we all have a guardian angel that is looking down on us.

I don't know the words to say to make things easier for my niece. I don't know how to make her feel better. And I really don't know how to process it all. But I do know that there is hope in our memories.

6 comments:

Steph G said...

It is so hard to think of the right things to say sometimes, so I just remind myself that sometimes I don't need to say anything and just be around.

I totally agree about spring time. There is something clean and new about it. I will say that our spring snow this morning took my breath away (until I realized that it's 4/23 and it's snowing.)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, that's so horrible about your niece's friend. I'm sorry to hear about that.

Spring is a wonderful time, and I'm definitely loving this weather.

Whitney @ justacountry-girl said...

Oh Brooke! I had no idea. Prayers for your sweet niece and the family that is involved. Hugs for you my sweet friend as you are strong for your lil niece.

julia rose. said...

this is such a beautiful and well written post, my friend! spring is definitely my most favorite time of the year for the same reasons... sending love your way for you and your sweet niece. give her lots of hugs and show her that she can live her life to the fullest still, and keep the memory of her friend alive in doing so!
xoxo

Sarah Alway said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I think telling your niece to focus on good memories is really good advice. Hang in there...

Venus Trapped In Mars said...

I saw those on your instagram. Could not have been cuter little babies. I'm with you on the "it was there time" comments. Why was it their time? What are they doing up there now that they couldn't have done here with us.

I think that the only thing that can help someone grieving is time, and time really does heal all wounds. Time seems to help us over come the sad to help us only remember the good!