Every girl has a dream. Whether it's the dream of being a gymnast, the first female president, walking runways or playing with puppies all day, we all have a dream.
My dream looked a little something like this:
With dogs and a big farm, and maybe even a horse. Except not so creepy.
As I near the 30 mark in my life, I have started doing something I promised myself I would never do, re-evaluating decisions, life events, living with a little regret. I decided that the best way to handle this, other than blogging about it, of course, is to write a letter to the girl I thought I'd be at this time in my life.
To the Girl I Thought I'd Be at 30
I expected you to be a lawyer or a doctor by now. Something with a little a few initials after the name. Not that what you do now isn't great, but let's be real, you aren't raking in a doctor's salary by any means.
I expected you to have babies and a husband by now. You've made some bad decisions in the male department over the years. But we won't go there. Being single doesn't make you any less of a person, actually, it probably makes you stronger than you ever imagined you could be. Singleness is not a sickness. You are you. Single, independent, you. God hasn't finished your love story just yet, but when he does, it'll be one for the big screen. No doubt.
I expected you to have your dream house by now. But yet, you moved out of your dream house that you built from the ground up, with every bell and whistle that you could ever imagine. I expected you to be planting flowers and herbs in the backyard, and sipping tea in a rose garden. But yet, life doesn't always work out how we plan it. So you did something that people couldn't believe, and you packed up your belongings into a POD and started saving money, like nobody's business. Good decisions don't make you less of a person, in fact, they make your bank account fluffier.
I expected you to be be driving a Tahoe, or something large, to haul around those babies. But instead, you are driving your equivalent of a dream car, which you bought yourself, and had everything you can imagine. So while you aren't driving around babies and car seats and slinging bottles and cheerios around in the backseat, you are hauling your friends around, and they make you happy and bring laughter to your each and every day. They make you happy.
I expected you to travel the world on a yearly basis, to have a vacation home somewhere tropical and to live a life of frolicking in the wild flowers. While you don't travel the world annually, you have traveled, studied abroad, took the bull by the horns, go somewhere tropical a couple times a year (without the second mortgage and bills) and you have been known to frolic, whether its in the streets or in some flowers.
I expected you to give your time and money to charity - maybe even heading up some big charity. But alas, you give your time to serving others a couple times a week. And while it exhausts you, and you have no time for much else, you aren't out there leading up a charity. You are just a worker bee, and you are perfectly fine with that.
I expected a lot more out of you. But what I didn't know is that life writes its own story and has its own expectations. I didn't know that I'd be this happy at this point in my life. We've definitely had some ups and downs. But where I am right now, is exactly where I want to be.
Would I like to have a little more money in the bank? Or a hubby to travel the world with? I definitely wouldn't turn those things down. But I'm happy in this season of life that I have found myself in.
And remember, the plan God has for our lives is so much greater than anything we could plan for ourselves...



12 comments:
I also expected more, but life catches up with you and we are like HUH? I think waiting around for men to pop the question is a big issue at times. I dated someone for 5 years before he ever did and he was the one who use to talk about us getting married all the time. I didn't marry him though. I ended up marrying my HS boyfriend. Oddly our family looks similar to the barbie one in the pic. He has two teenage daughters and we just had our own baby almost 8 months ago.
I absolutely love this, "the plan God has for our lives is so much greater than anything we could plan for ourselves..." I think it's something that people lose sight of very easily. As long as we can have faith and trust in God's plan then we know that where we are at, is exactly where we are supposed to be & that is by far the most comforting feeling :)
<3 youuu!
What I do, have, and am now is a lot different than what I expected. I loved having the dreams growing up, and I loved adapting them to real life as it came.
Great post!
I am glad you found some happiness. I have struggled with poor decisions and perhaps a tinge of regret but I try not to focus on that. I am happy with what I have done so far and am looking forward to bigger and better things for me. Esther Norine Designs
Awe, sweet girl, keep your chin up. Don't ever doubt yourself and don't look back...keep pushing forward. You seem like an AMAZING woman that is blessed and HAS accomplished so much...it doesn't matter at what age things happen...just that you get the most out of your life...even if it takes a few more years to achieve!! Thanks for linking up!
what a great post girl, and I think A LOT of people feel like this. I never thought that my life would turn out the way it did either. but you are right, god has a plan and it will turn out for the best in the end.
Wow I absolutely love this post! I think there are a lot of things I expected out of my life at this time that I haven't quite reached! Either way we can never live with regret, there's no where to go but up :)
http://allthingsalisamarie.blogspot.com
Amazing post! Came to visit from "I wore yoga pants to work", Glad to have found you!
I'm totally with you on this one girl! I thought a lot of things would be different by 30, but it just isn't so. Anyway, saw your guest post over on Whitney's blog and am your newest follower!
-kelly
follow back @ sweettea-lemonade.blogspot.com
ps - my boyfriend is from KY, go CATS!
I love this post! Please, please SOAK UP this stage of your life. I sometimes find myself wishing that I'd taken more time to be single and just "do me."
Oh my gosh, I. Love. This . Post.
I hear ya sister. I just wrote a whole post about how I dream about being a mom. The part I left out is I that it all would have happened by now! But seriously, where would the adventure be if life turned out just as we planned it!
Love your blog!
So I'm a few weeks behind....I told you I do read your blog...I'm just always behind.lol I loved this blog and your line at the end made me tear up! :) And giggle at the same time...glad those words stuck with ya! :)
Post a Comment