Wednesday, March 20, 2013

That Dripping Sound Was Sweat

My theme for 2013 has been living fearlessly. So last night I faced my fears like never before.

Yesterday while sitting at my desk, I took the plunge and bought two weeks of Bikram Yoga at a studio here in Lexington. I was beyond excited. A few people offered some tips of the trade on Twitter and I did a little research on my own. 

5:00 rolled around and I jetted to my car. I was supposed to be early, which is something that NEVER happens in my life, and gave myself a pep talk all the way to the studio. I was nervous. Real nervous. I had no idea what to expect really and people had told me to expect things like puking. And maybe even passing out. I don't know about you but that doesn't sound incredibly appealing.

I walked into the studio in a sweatshirt and long yoga pants. Finally putting those yoga pants to good use, amiright? I told the half naked man behind the desk that this was my first class which I'm sure he knew just by looking at me. He pointed me to the changing room, and at this point I was really starting to get worried. I was wearing what I was going to wear to yoga. No need to change. I mean, yes, I was going to lose the sweatshirt.

My anxiety was at an all time high. I went into the dressing room where lots of half naked girls were. Dressed  in what I can only assume is hot yoga gear at this point. So I shed my sweatshirt and went straight to the room. I was overwhelmed. My senses were being overtaken by anxiety.

I laid my mat out, put my towel over it, and then sat down. In my t-shirt and yoga pants. 


This is how people were dressed, guys. And I was in full clothing. FULL.

I was ready to jet. My friends were meeting for a beer at my favorite brewery. I could get out of there and not think twice about it. But the instructor came in, and there I was, essentially stuck. 

There were men and women of all ages. AND what I thought were judging stares at first actually turned out to be looks of pity. They knew what I was getting into. Most of them had all been there a bunch of times before me.

The class gets started and I'm already sweating. I mean, it's hot in there. Like 110 degrees. And everyone is half naked. And I'm just dressed like I'm making a run to Target. 

The moves were easier than I expected really. I thought I was a yoga superstar. The instructor welcomed me with open arms and told me to just remember to keep breathing and to sit down if I needed to. 90% of the people in the room were in GREAT shape and during the class I kept thinking two things:

1) Am I going to pass out? and 2) Will I look like that after hot yoga?

At one point I kept hearing this dripping sound. And the first thought that came to mind was that there was a leak in the ceiling somewhere. NOPE. That was my sweat. Hitting the mat. This workout was intense.

After class, I felt the best I maybe have ever felt. Toxins were left on the mat. I had sweat off what had to be 9 pounds. I felt certain. And my muscles already felt tighter. Will I go back? You better believe it. Am I sore? Like I've never been before. Will I buy clothes like pictured above? I already hit purchase this morning and they should be at my house in 2-3 shipping days. 

Moral of the story - get out of your comfort zone and sweat a little. It'll make you feel like a superstar, even if you can't move from your chair.

25 comments:

Maggie said...

I have always been terrified of hot yoga, mostly because I think I will pass out/throw up.
Thank you for the reminder that I need to stop making excuses and just do it!

elle at wishingoodluck said...

I LOVED hot yoga! I swear I have never been that sore the next day though - I was complaining to my roommate about it, I didn't understand how yoga could work my muscles so much until hot yoga. The heat didn't bother me too much, and my experience was very similar to yours - the instructor was great. It's so expensive to make a habit though!

Anonymous said...

You go girl!!! I don't think I could do that...but I would probably try it...at least once :)

Meg O. said...

Gosh, hot yoga is so intense! Get it, girl!!!!

Allison @ Lawfully Lost said...

Amazing, glad you liked it! I was keen to hear how it went. You can't say I didn't tell you about the clothes!!! I remember coming home from my first hot yoga class thinking, "holy hell, I have never sweat so much in my life!"

So happy for you!

Beth K. said...

Girl, I LOVE that you shared your first hot yoga experience. I have been thinking about trying it for a while but I am ALWAYS that person that walks in feeling like a dork and out of place. Now I know (sorta) what to expect! Maybe I'll try soon :)

Katherine said...

Hahaha, I can completely relate...the first time I went to a Bikram yoga class I hadn't had enough water during the day and nearly passed out, much to my mortification!

Shayna @ The Fancy Yancey said...

Get it girl!! I've heard hot yoga is intense & it sounds like it is!

The Pink Growl said...

I am dying to try hot yoga! Just waiting on a Groupon deal or something to come along. It's too expensive for me to do without it.

Jordon said...

I had a VERY similar experience with Hot Yoga. I learned to love it once I got more comfortable with myself and realized everyone around me really was not staring at me like I thought. It is a really great way to mix up your normal workout routine!

Katie said...

haha. Oh girl. I've been there. I did it once with a girlfriend and looked a fool...I however DIDN'T like it. I found myself bored thoroughout it and I wasn't sore the next day. Maybe I didn't get it enough chance but I've never been back!

Steph G said...

Good for you. I'm terrified and intimidating, but i keep talking about it. Someone will hold me accountable for my blabbing one of these days.

Beth Boone said...

This is my recent obsession!!!! I started last week and have been almost everyday since!! I love it!!! Keep it up girl!

Jill @ Bluegrass Belle said...

I really want to try this sometime! I bought a groupon forever long ago, forgot to activate it, and when I emailed bikram about at least using the paid value, they were unresponsive. I still want to give it a shot though. I sweat so bad during BarreAmped I can only imagine what it'd be like in a 110 degree room. Are you serious that people were dressed in like...bathing suits pretty much!?

Vanessa said...

I love Bikram!

Pre marriage and pre baby I used to volunteer at the reception desk with my local studio.

In exchange? FREE YOGA!

It was great- weekly Bikram sessions were amazing.

Right now we're working out our budget so that I can find a way to return to my weekly sweat fests =)

Sarah Alway said...

Good for you for sticking it out! I totally would have bailed. Well done!

Autumn @ The Unreal Life said...

Your post inspired me to just JUMP IN and give fitness a solid A effort. I signed up for one month of Bar Method. Wish me luck!

Maxine said...

CrossFit is the same way with attire. Short shorts, tall socks, and lululemon sports bras.... that's when you know you're a CF champion. I have yet to tackle the tall socks.... and I don't think I ever will... but whatever!! Glad you enjoyed yoga!

Jennifer said...

i tried hot yoga once years ago when i was in terrible shape and vaguely remember hating it. - i really want to give it another try, i keep hearing such awesome reviews!

Rachel said...

This makes me realize that I really just need to start working out already and STOP making excuses!! Glad that it was a good experience for you!

aimymichelle said...

wow thats crazy. never could do that.

i'm a new follower.

Corinne said...

You are so brave! I probably would have acted like something came up and had to leave. Hearing that you stuck it out and had a good experience makes me even more interested in trying it out. I'm really only concerned that I'm going to pass out or vomit.

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

I'm so glad you had a good experience.

I tried a class a few years ago, and the instructor was a total woody harrelson look alike hard ass who picked on me the entire class.

I haven't been back since. It's a shame because aside from being totally humiliated, I felt great after physically.

Kelly said...

Bikram Yoga is a-maz-ing. Good for you for sticking through it! The first class or two are definitely the toughest, but once you come to know what to expect, it gets much easier. I always explain to people who don't know that you walk out of there dripping like you just got out of a pool, no joke!

ps - My boyfriend's mom does Bikram at a studio in Lexingon, maybe the same one!

Nicolas Ervin said...

“…get out of your comfort zone and sweat a little.” This one’s very inspiring! It’s never easy to go out of your comfort zone, but once you gain control, you’ll see better opportunities. It was a good decision to try yoga! I guarantee you that it has endless benefits and satisfaction, as you improve your overall health and unity of body, mind and spirit. Good luck!

-Nicolas Ervin